cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Virtual Sitemap Components
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:50:33 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>

>>Also, if you have virtual generator "x" defined, what will be the result of serviceManager.lookup(Generator.ROLE).select("x")?
>>

>A VPCGenerator object implementing the generator interface? I haven't thought about it
very well, but I guess it's possible (if we only allow pipeline components (G,T,S) for virtual
components than this is easy anyway; but as we allow more (Actions,Matchers,Selectors) this
might be slightly more difficult).

Implementation-wise, it would be way simpler for VPCs to be completely
handled by the sitemap engine. In the refactoring I did last week, I
introduced a ProcessorComponentInfo class that holds the information
formerly held by SitemapComponentSelector and OutputComponentSelector.
We can add to this ProcessorComponentInfo class the ability to store the
ProcessingNodes corresponding to VPCs defined by a sitemap.

Implementing VPCs then becomes rather trivial, including their
inheritance in subsitemaps.

Now, if we want to implement them as regular components, things starts
to be a bit more difficult. These components will be wrappers around the
VPC's ProcessingNode, creating a subpipeline on setup() and returning
the pipeline's key and validity as the component's key and validity.
That subpipeline will not be a complete one, depending if the VPC is a
G, T or S (will be a full one for a virtual reader).

So the question is: is it necessary to expose VPCs as regular
components. Furthermore, although possible, is it "legal" to lookup
sitemap components from somewhere else than in the sitemap engine?

Sylvain

PS: I'm currently on vacation, so won't be as responsive as usual on hot
topics!