cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] Marking internal classes
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2004 07:53:07 GMT
Unico Hommes wrote:

> Reinhard Poetz wrote:

<snip/>

>> I also propose to separate the cocoon.jar into two parts: One that
>> contains all interfaces that can be implemented and all classes that
>> can be used or extended and a second jar that contains the rest which
>> is only used internally. After migrating to Suversion this can be
>> done without breaking the history because this will also require some
>> file moving. IMO this step is necessary to separate our blocks from
>> Cocoon core, isn't it?

Good idea, but IMO this complements marking the classes, as if you load
the full Cocoon in an Eclipse project, completion will show all classes.
A notice at the beginning of the javadoc helps in noticing that you use
something that's forbidden.

> I like this too. There could be more than two parts though. There is
> the API part that contains interfaces used to embed cocoon into a
> certain environment. The SPI interfaces developers implement to extend
> the functionality of Cocoon. The different API implementations that we
> have (CLI, Servlet). And finally the core components.

Can you elaborate on the difference between API and SPI?

Sylvain