cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <>
Subject Re: [RT] Virtual Sitemap Components
Date Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:42:09 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>>> I want to start the implementation of the virtual sitemap components
>>> in the next weeks; but before, we should discuss how they will look
>>> like :)
>>> The first point - and imho most important point is, of which components
>>> a virtual sitemap component (VSC) can be assembled.
>>> My understand is that a VSC is either:
>>> - a generator followed by one or more transformers
>>> - a set of transformers
>>> - a set of transformers followed by a serializer
>>> Thus, the VSC acts like a generator, a transformer or a serializer.
>> Exactly.
>>> There were some mentions in the past, that a VSC can contain any
>>> sitemap
>>> component, so even actions, matchers and selectors are allowed in
>>> the definition of the VSC.
>>> So, first question is: do we want this?
>>> (I would say: no)
>> I would say yes! Forbidding control structures in virtual components
>> would greatly reduce their usefulness.
> i agree with you, but do you think it makes sense to use everything? I
> would say that just selection and action would be useful, but matching
> and redirection would be harmful.

I don't see how matching could be harmful if selection is not, as
they're close to each other and only do tests on the environment.

Redirects, actions and flowscript calls, however, break the semantics of
pipeline components which should not modify the system state, at least
until the pipeline execution starts.

Calling a resource should be possible, even if resources make less sense
with virtual components, provided that the resource contents follow the
rules for a virtual component.

So, to sum up:
+1 for <map:match>, <map:select> and <map:call resource>
-1 for <map:act>, <map:redirect-to> and <map:call function> and
<map:call continuation>

We also have to define how views behave with virtual components, and I
admit not to have a clear idea on this subject...