cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Virtual Sitemap Components
Date Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:42:59 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:

> I must admit, I am completely confused.  The question was posed
> earlier as to what the difference between virtual sitemap components
> and resources are, to which I haven't seen an answer.
>
> It would seem that they are close enough conceptually that having both
> of them is just going to confuse users even more. Cannot resources be
> fixed to get rid of some of the shortcomings instead?

The "ratified bug" mentioned by Vadim, is that resources where initially
meant to be endpoints only (i.e. must end with a serializer) and
implemented as such in the original compiled sitemap engine whereas a
bug in the interpreted sitemap engine (that exists for more than 2 years
now) allows them to be similar to subroutines and therefore not being
limited to being endpoints, since you can return from a resource to the
calling point.

So, in this regard, virtual components and resources are very close.
IIRC, Stefano once said that virtual components are what resources
should have been from the start. So we can consider that once we'll have
virtual components, resources will be deprecated.

The important difference also is that virtual components will be
inherited by subsitemaps, which is not the case for resources.

Sylvain