cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl>
Subject Re: Is there a way to revert to the old "store"?
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2004 08:41:30 GMT
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

>> running some tests i had following experiences
>>
>> A       B
>> 100     71ms
>> 200    670ms
>> 500   4917ms
>> 1000 28221ms
>>
>> A .. number of string entries to be cached
>> B .. measured time in ms
>>
>> Seems that caching time rises not linear using JCS.
>

> FUDGE! That's exactly what I'm seeing. Under heavy loads, but with no
> variation of URLs, 2.2 is twice as fast as 2.1.5-dev, when the URLs I
> process in Cocoon start varying, then the request time grows
> exponentially.
>
> For us 2.1.5 is unusable, and, ok, VNUNET is not your regular
> moderately loaded, well designed web site (it's actually a miracle it
> stays together :-P ) but this is kinda of a major problem, AFAICS!
>
> For now, just to make sure, I'll put live 2.1.5 with the old cache,
> and give it a go. If that works, then we know we have some problems
> with JCS under load.

Are you sure this is going to work for you though? My own experience
with the old store is that after a while the cache gets corrupted and
you start seeing cached content pop up at unexpected places as if the
cache key all of a sudden is now pointing to a different cached object.

> If someone explains how to try out EHCache, I'll be delighted to test
> it out as well.

It's in the scratchpad area. There is an xconf patch file that shows you
the component configuration. Javadocs should be verbose enough to get
you going.

EHCache just released 0.9 version. I am looking into upgrading today.

--
Unico