cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@vafer.org>
Subject Re: Why has XMLForms been removed
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2004 09:24:41 GMT
> Hello,
>
> I have just noticed that XMLForms has been removed from Cocoon. May I
> ask why? From 2.1.4 I got the impression that there is a real effort to
> include a XForms (or close to) implementation in Cocoon. But obviously,
> XForms is no longer considered to be of interest. For us, this is rather
> unfortunate, so, if possible, I'd like to know why it has been dropped.

There were several reasons. The most important ones
are:

* lack of community support - it was no community effort
* we decided to focus on a single forms framework (former woody)

IIRC also some security issues popped up. Besides
trying to implement a client side spec on the server
side has always been questionable.

...that's why we deprecated XMLForms a while ago
and moved on.

Please have a look into "forms" block. You will
find a pretty mature form handling implementation
that's been used and well supported by the cocoon
community.

You won't burn your hands again if you go for it.

Hope I summarized this correctly, folks?

cheers
--
Torsten