cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject Re: [RT] A Groovy Kind of Sitemap
Date Fri, 30 Jul 2004 02:21:56 GMT
Tony Collen dijo:
> Steven Noels wrote:
>
>> On 29 Jul 2004, at 20:40, Tony Collen wrote:
>
>>> Scripting languages (and programming languages in general) are easy to
>>> create, all you need to do is define the grammar and tokens, and feed
>>> it all to something like JFlex/BYacc to create a parser.  Perhaps it's
>>> easier said than done.  Granted, I've done nothing with parser
>>> generators, but in the end I think it's the same.
>>

>> Agree, but I'm not convinced that we are just aiming for a simpler
>> syntax. I feel we're moving away from declarative, and I'm convinced
>> that this might reduce the predictability of Cocoon's behaviour and
>> usage model.
>
> For that matter, you can describe lots of things with a grammar that
> isn't necessarily a programming language, so perhaps I mis-spoke.  I
> simply thought that being able to define the sitemap with a grammar
> would allow us to create a parser that would parse the tree of the
> sitemap.

But with XML we already have the parser done (xerces). We don't need to
create a new one. The tokens comes automatically. I think this is part of
the XML idea or not? Going back to any grammar java-style I saw it as a
step back.

And for the action that add complexity to the overall sitemaps there is
the flowengine to save it.

I am not against testing and implement a new sitemap syntax, but I think
we need ideas why is good the change. As Stefano said, pehaps later we can
saw the real value of that. I am +1 for a test drive of the new grammar
and help in that where I can give a hand. I believe in Groovy and I think
is good to implement it in Groovy.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo