cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject Re: [RT] A Groovy Kind of Sitemap
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:03:00 GMT
Leszek Gawron dijo:
> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>> Suppose you have an IDE for Cocoon where you need to read the sitemap
>> and
>> show the user it in a GUI. This is my point. The XML version will be
>> easier.
> Easier to read or easier to implement the display component? So what if
> the displaying component is easier to implement if you make it harder
> for user to create a sitemap without it.

I don't invented the XML. I think it is a result of years of research. I
repeated what I sold from XML. "The idea of not create new parsers". But I
think it is not the case. Even for programming languages we saw CASEs that
try to help in writting code. or not? So where is the implementing point
now?

> If we were creating a commercial product with GUIs all over the place I
> would agree: it is better to create easily parsable format and provide a
> gui for it. But not in this case. We do not have a GUI and won't have
> for a long time.

It is just a matter of time. Cocoon is very new but a GUI is inevitable.
It is a natural step in Cocoon. You are right it perhaps will not being
part of Cocoon but it will be part of a set of tools aimed to help cocoon
developers. There are already some GUI tools for Ant, struts and others.
Cocoon will have them.

>> As many of you know, I also work in Druid project and there we have a
>> XML
>> internal representation of a DB. This is easier to manage and create
>> than
>> a other format.
> One of my project contains about 35 entities right now. After it started
> growing I resigned from mapping my entities manually in XML and started
> to use XML. I have no nightmares anymore :)

I don't understand this. Please explain.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo