cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Mayrhuber <cm...@iicm.tu-graz.ac.at>
Subject Re: [RT] A Groovy Kind of Sitemap
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:23:26 GMT
On Wednesday 28 July 2004 11:28, Guido Casper wrote:
> Leszek Gawron wrote:
> > Guido Casper wrote:
> >> One thing to keep in mind  is that the sitemap is a declarative thing
> >> (and the pointy brackets always remind us of that). While skripting the
> >
> > I think this is not true. For those who do not use flowscript sitemap
> > became a "programming language" a long time ago. Insert a lot of
> > database actions, authorization actions, mail actions and you will get
> > more flow than declaration.
>
> But that was the reason for flowscript's introduction (originally termed
> flowmap :) ... to keep the sitemap clean of flow logic.
>
> Guido

I agree, please do not turn the sitemap into some kind of serverside script!

I know serverside javascript from a proprietary document management
system and the applications written with it are nearly impossible to maintain.

If people have the ability to do business logic + application flow in
a sitemap they will use it and they will produce difficult to maintain
applications.

The sitemap xml syntax makes it a lot easier for developers to develop
in layers than not to develop in layers.
For example:
 1. pipeline/flow, etc. declaration  -> sitemap
 2. application flow -> flowscript/java flow
 3. business logic/backend -> java beans/ejb

If you allow for all of these to happen within a sitemap script you end up
with a serverside scripting language.

I'd rather suggest to propaget the use of flow over the use of actions
together with to be written cocoon design patterns.

--
lg, Chris