cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Quenot <...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon 2.1.5 as a FreeBSD port
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2004 10:40:14 GMT
* Tony Collen:

> Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
>
> >"The problem is that it can not  be built without very much hassle on
> >a Debian  system. The problem is that  it depends hard on  a specific
> >jvm (that do not exist in debian)."
>
> Yep, this  is the  same problem  that I  was discussing  with someone.
> That,  and from  what I  gathered,  Debian is  pretty pragmatic  about
> dependencies, so we might run into  problems with all the JARs that we
> include with the distribution.

Every  operating  system  that  is based  on  binary  redistribution  of
packages is  limited by the  proprietary nature of the  Java Development
Kit, and especially Debian, who claims to distribute only free software.

On the opposite, every OS that is  based on ports (BSD ports, or portage
on  Gentoo  Linux),  does  not normally  redistribute  binary  packages.
Instead, the  system fetches  the distfile  directly from  the upstreams
author's  server, per  user request,  encompassing legal  limitations of
redistribution policy.

The  specific  problem   of  Java  on  FreeBSD  is  that   Sun  was  not
« supporting » this platform until recently.   One had to signup for the
SCSL (Sun  Community Source License),  agree to the terms,  and download
the JDK  source him- or  herself, before building the  unofficial native
port.  Since  a couple of months,  a binary JDK is  officially available
for FreeBSD, it is called Diablo JDK, based on JDK 1.3.

> The FreeBSD ports idea  is pretty cool, and I look  forward to when we
> have a whole mess of Real Blocks as separate BSD ports.

There is  room for improvement  in that domain.  AFAICT,  nothing exists
yet in that respect.  I'd be glad to port those blocks as well.  Another
thing that could be improved would be to let the user choose the servlet
container to be used for running Cocoon.

Best regards,
--
Jean-Baptiste Quenot
http://caraldi.com/jbq/