cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsber...@STJUDE.ORG>
Subject RE: [RT] A Groovy Kind of Sitemap
Date Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:25:43 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> writes:

> Geoff Howard wrote:
>
> > Why insert this stream of consiousness into this
> discussion?  I have a
> > gut feeling that something in this discussion could lead to
> a solution
> > along these or totally new lines that cures this "uneasiness", or
> > could make it even worse.
>
> I feel the same way: sitemap and flowscript sometimes feel like
> overseparating the concerns.
>
> But like you, I don't know if a more scriptable syntax for
> the pipelines
> could allow us to solve this "uneasiness" or to make it worse... the
> "sin" that comes to mind is dynamic pipelines... but isn't
> this what we
> are doing anyway with selectors and matchers?

I think this thread is sort of a critical issue for Cocoon.  It's
grappling with what is the general pattern behind request matching and
what is the simplest way to solve it.

I'd also agree that I think the current separation of flow from page
production is somewhat clumsy. Just to bug you about this once more,
I'll note that by using XSLT you could keep everything in one file:
declare the sitemap as a variable and then write the flow production as
XSLT templates (heh, heh, hah)...

> [I've been learning a pipe of new programming languages lately.
>
> I think you can tell ;-)]
>
> The sitemap *is* a programming language. It's a pretty kickass one.
>
> I was talking to Sam (Ruby), Ted (Leung) and Fitz (Brian Fitzpatrick)
> comparing java and python (I'm sitting here at Guido's talk
> about Python
> 's state of the union) and they were waying that java is terrible for
> xml programming while python is much better.
>
> I said that the cocoon sitemap is a lot better than both....
> but it is
> true that it's not a general purpose language.
>
> cocoon has tons of reusable, first class, pipeline components... the
> only other thing that has such a thing is the UNIX environment.
>
> the sitemap has no parallel in UNIX. Is this good or bad? I
> don't know.

How about the various shell processors?  Tons of procedural scripts
gluing pipelines together all over the place...

<snip>Other food for thought</snip>