cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsber...@STJUDE.ORG>
Subject RE: [RT] A Groovy Kind of Sitemap
Date Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:46:03 GMT
Conal Tuohy <Conal.Tuohy@vuw.ac.nz> writes:

> Peter Hunsberger wrote:
>
> > As others have said, one needs to step back and look at the overall
> > objective: what do you want Cocoon to do when you feed it a request
> > (either via http or CLI or whatever)?  Figure out all the
> high level
> > use cases and their interactions, step back, generalize and repeat.
> > Personally, I end up with something more like RDF and
> > ontology traversal
> > than I do with scripting...  I don't think many people could
> > afford the
> > hardware to do that in real-time for large scale web sites,
> so I come
> > back to XML technologies as a reasonable compromise for the
> near term.
>
> I don't know if this is exactly what you're thinking of, but
> at my work we are developing something which sounds similar -
> using XML Topic Maps rather than RDF - and I think (hope) it
> will be a powerful technique for knowledge-intensive sites.
>
> There are 3 parts to it:
> 1) harvesting or mining the knowledge from the various
> sources (we use XSLT in Cocoon pipelines to extract knowledge
> and encode it as XTM).
> 2) using the semantic network to structure the website itself.

Sounds sort of similar.  We're not really trying to manage generalized
semantic navigation (though just today I questioned whether we should be
over on xml-dev).  We're sort of doing both less and more: less in that
we depend very much on a specific representational format, and more in
that we recognize and optimize for specific types of relationship
traversal.

> For this second part we have a sitemap which handles all
> requests with a simple flowscript, passing it the request
> information. This flowscript looks up the requested topic (a
> concept) in the topic map database (we use TM4J with
> Hibernate). Then it finds an appropriate jxtemplate for
> rendering that topic, and calls sendPage(jxtemplate, topic)
> to render it. The jxtemplate is responsible for rendering
> topics and inserting xinclude statements to aggregate topic
> occurrences (resources). So 90% of the sitemap consists of
> pipelines for rendering various occurrences, but totally
> decoupled from the website's external URI space. These
> pipelines are consumed by the rendering templates. The
> logical structure of the site is entirely in the topic map,
> the choice of page layout for each type of topic is also in
> the topic map, but the page layouts themselves are just jxtemplates.

Hmm, in our case the page layouts are XML templates store in a database;
we have many variations on a given layout.  Sounds like different
general use cases, but a somewhat similar approach.