cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsber...@STJUDE.ORG>
Subject RE: [cforms] xreporter expressions on (Avalon) steroids
Date Thu, 22 Jul 2004 16:18:32 GMT
Gianugo Rabellino <gianugo@apache.org> writes:

> On Jul 22, 2004, at 5:11 PM, Hunsberger, Peter wrote:
> > Hmm, maybe I should have included what I assumed to be a
> more-or-less
> > obvious point in my previous post about Schematron: you can
> always use
> > an XSL engine that supports extensions to call your Java
> functions and
> > use Schematron as a way to compose calls to Java functions.
> We in fact
> > have a whole set of isValidDate (etc.) type Java functions
> we use from
> > Schematron.
>
> I don't quite like the idea of tying myself to a given XSLT
> engine, but
> your idea looks interesting.

Saxon has been very good to us, but it's really not hard to switch XSLT
engines, almost all of them support extensions...

> In any case, how would you deal with the
> need for a component manager and/or the whole avalon environment?

We don't, and I'm not quite sure why you need it? The Schematron XSL are
in fact being run as a Cocoon pipeline and if we need cross document
validation we just wrap back to Cocoon via "document( cocoon:... )"
calls from within XSL created by Schematron.  Not 100% efficient, but
does everything we need...