cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsber...@STJUDE.ORG>
Subject RE: [RT] Virtual Sitemap Components
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:29:30 GMT
Pier Fumagalli <pier@betaversion.org> writes:

> On 16 Jul 2004, at 17:53, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >>
> >> I would say yes! Forbidding control structures in virtual
> components
> >> would greatly reduce their usefulness.
> >
> > i agree with you, but do you think it makes sense to use
> everything? I
> > would say that just selection and action would be useful,
> but matching
> > and redirection would be harmful.
> >
> > thoughts?
>
> I don't understand what would be the difference between a
> full pipeline
> and a virtual component is if matchers and redirectors are used...

Umm, other than the fact that they are not full pipelines (they are at
most two thirds of a pipeline...) ?

> Can someone provide some examples? (some sample XML sitemaps, i mean)

Not sure if this is in the plan, but I for one would find the ability to
do the following useful...

       <map:vpc name="output" type="serialize">
            <map:match pattern="*.pdf">
		    <map:transform src="xml2fo"/>
                <map:serialize type="pdf"/>
            </map:match>
            <map:match pattern="*.html">
		    <map:transform src="xml2html"/>
                <map:serialize/>
            </map:match>
            <map:match pattern="*.xml">
                <map:serialize type="xml"/>
            </map:match>
	</map:vpc>

Strictly speaking you don't need the "type" attribute on the vpc
element, but it would certainly make it clear what contract you expect
the vpc fragment to conform to...