cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject RE: [RT] A Groovy Kind of Sitemap
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 06:12:15 GMT
Conal Tuohy dijo:
> Stefano wrote:
>> The XML syntax makes sense only when you want to process the sitemap
>> iteself via pipeline (for example, to generate an SVG poster
>> of it via XSLT)
>>
>> And makes sense if you want to prevent people from adding scripting
>> inside the pipelines (well, actions are kinda like scripting
>> aren't they)
>
> It's also potentially useful for validation.
>
> Another thing I like about XML sitemaps is that you can load them in a
> browser and use + and - buttons to reveal only the sections you want.
>
> The fact that XML is a common syntax means that there will always be new
> things you can with it.
>
> Personally, I like it as XML. :-)

I agree. The idea I buyed from XML was that we don't need to add new
parsers, easily transformations using XSLT, etc. and that is a point we
will lose.

You know that I like Groovy. and I thought about that long time ago, but I
was no brave enough to propose a Groovy syntax because the problems
parsing the Groovy code for later purposes. Note, I am not droping the
idea. I think we need to see closer to the pros and cons about a Groovy
sitemap syntax.

Another solution can be to allow more syntax here: XML, Groovy, java,
[fill here]. The question is if this is not again a balkanization. Long
time ago we agreed to avoid that for forms frameworks. Can we agree the
same for sitemap syntax?

I still have the idea that we need an IDE for Cocoon and using non-XML
syntax will be harder to parse. Just think what if we need to build an
non-XML reader to interpret the sitemap. With an XML syntax it is a very
easy task. Perhaps Sylvain call tell us more about this since they are
developing a tool for Cocoon.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo