cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Spring+JMX == Real Blocks?
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2004 22:48:21 GMT
Il giorno 09/lug/04, alle 23:56, Sylvain Wallez ha scritto:

> The bean definition file defines all services of system like
> cocoon.xconf, but also the wiring, which is handled internally by
> lookups with Avalon. This has several consequences:
> - people writing this file must have an in-depth knowledge of
> implementation classes used (not only abstract service interfaces) and
> the wiring they need. This is a difficult task.

Good point.

> - the full wiring may lead to huge files in large systems (i.e.
> Cocoon). So the question is: does it scale?

Bean factories can be divided among multiple files and hierarchically
organized.

> - can the framework ensure that no wiring is missing? Is there another
> way than having a NPE at runtime?

Not that I know of.

> I have the feeling Spring can be used for small sets of components,
> but can it be used for the full assembly of large systems like Cocoon?

This is a good question and one whose answer I want to find. I think up
to now Spring has been used as a container that mostly wires together
components of an application, not components of a higher-level
framework like Cocoon. On the other hand, I don't want to sound too
apologetic, but Spring is just at version 1.0.2 and is pretty young but
growing fast. I have hope that some shortcomings will be addressed in
future versions.

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - http://beblogging.com/