cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Including source files in jars
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2004 07:24:14 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Joerg Heinicke wrote:
>
>> On 07.06.2004 10:55, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>>
>>> I updated the build process so that we can optionally include the
>>> java source files in jar archives.
>>
>> Nice one. I only would like to see the sources separated from the
>> binaries, so that I do not have to rebuild Cocoon just for releasing
>> my projects.
>
> Read my answer to Antonio: having separate files gives no guarantee that
> the sources you have in the source archive are the one that were
> actually used for the build. And when releasing projects, it is IMO
> safer to ship them with the sources if a non-release version is used.

But this makes all the sources available by defaule as resources in the
jar. Is this something we want?

I understand that keeping th source in the jar is the best solution to
keep the two together, but since the build generates the filenames
automatically, shouldn't that be reasonably sufficient?

In particular, I'm thinking of using Depot, and handle the source and
bin jars as separate artifacts.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -