cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Cocoon component container and excalibur
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2004 13:51:14 GMT
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

[...]

>> I guess I got this wrong - isn't this distinction based on
>> the difference between compile time / runtime? My component
>> will use a logger and a configuration in any case, but maybe
>> it doesn't know which services it will need later on. When it
>> "requires" each other block it might want to use, wouldn't
>> this generate some overhead?
>

> You declare your requirement in the descriptor, but access the instance
> at runtime...
>
> I'm not concerned about the access mechanism, but about the selection
> mechanism. The block should be given a specific instance of a Generator
> (for example) if they require one. But they should not be allowed to
> look up for a ComponentSelector upon which the block itself "chooses"
> which one of the generator it wants...

OK, so you mean it shouldn't be possible to choose among several
Generators using a specific hint? I must admit that I never really
felt comfortable with the concept of hints. When you define the
behaviour of a component using an implementation-independent
interface, don't you bypass this concept when you obtain a specific
implementation using a hint?

It is obvious that an implementation should be chosen based on
certain priorities (speed, memory consumption, ...) - how would
this be managed without selection?

Thanks for your explanations!

-- Andreas