cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Cocoon component container and excalibur
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2004 12:16:21 GMT
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

[...]
> As a first, all selections are based on real-java-objects (tell me how
> to "require" a block that has no components, like a Forrest Skin and
> I'll be happy).

I'm sorry to join the discussion without any knowledge
about the blocks concept, but I'm interested in learning them.
Could somebody give me a short pointer to a useful resource?

> Second of all (but I think this is solvable) component selection is
> kinda weird and goes totally against the IOC principles.
>
> A block should require another block, it should not by any means
> "select" a block as we do now with component selectors)...
 >
> It's kinda mixed at the moment, I'm given a logger, I'm given a
> configuration, but I have to ask for a component?

I guess I got this wrong - isn't this distinction based on
the difference between compile time / runtime? My component
will use a logger and a configuration in any case, but maybe
it doesn't know which services it will need later on. When it
"requires" each other block it might want to use, wouldn't
this generate some overhead?

Thanks!

-- Andreas