cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Use of the what command with java code
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 09:46:13 GMT
Le 9 juin 04, à 11:24, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :
> ...There's a problem with Antonio's proposal: people that download the
> official release don't have the source control information (be it CVS
> or SVN), yet still have to build their own copy of Cocoon...

Not sure if I understand: the SVN release number would be included in
the manifest in jar files, and people can use cvsview (or whatever the
SVN equivalent is) to get at the right version of the file, isn't it?

> ...So I'm more in favor of including the "what" information, which
> puts a small but indelibile stamp in class files (provided of course
> that the file hasn't been modified after its checkout)....

And this could work for your own code as well if you respect the what
convention, so I agree that it is more precise. The downside is making
sure this info is in every source file, we'd need a script or ant task
to check I guess.

> ...And yes, I admit that my solution is good only for uncommon cases,
> i.e. for hard-core users living on the bleeding edge :-)

hehe ;-)

-Bertrand