cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <...@apache.org>
Subject OpenJMS vs. ActiveMQ
Date Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:39:55 GMT
Dear Cocooners,

currently our JMS block, to be actually working, requires that one:

- download and install a JMS client library, which we don't distribute
for licensing reasons
- have a running instance of a JMS server in another VM

This is not very comfortable, isn't it?

But today I stumbled upon this [1]:

"ActiveMQ is an open source, Apache 2.0 licenced Message Broker and JMS
1.1 implementation which integrates seamlessly into Geronimo, light
weight containers and any Java application. [ActiveMQ]  can be used as
an in memory JMS provider, ideal for unit testing."

So I though we could use that and have a working JMS provider
out-of-the-box, immediately usable by blocks that need one (slide,
eventcache).

Since I have zero knowledge of JMS-related matters and am too busy
toying with the JCR, Slide, Hibernate and various petstores, I'm just
suggesting that someone with the necessary expertise and free time look
after it.

WDYT?

	Ugo

P.S.: personally, I'm not that interested in JMS per se, but what I
read about Streamlets [2] has tickled my curiosity. Sounds cool,
doesn't it?

[1] http://activemq.codehaus.org/
[2] http://activemq.codehaus.org/Streamlets

--