cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon is not gump!
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:39:04 GMT
On 29 Jun 2004, at 19:46, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> A decompiler will be your best friend, not google. Google might give
> you the solution, but without the code how to you change it?
> re-assemblying the bytecode by hand?
>
> Or you might want to kiss Sylvain if the source code was distributed
> along with the binary code ;-)

I found myself in this exact situation last year: the guy who developed
the pre-Cocoon version of VNUNET.COM built the site with a CVS snapshot
of Lucene (of course using features not available in the
previously-released version, and with API changes incompatible with the
next), whatever.

A couple of weeks before he left his PC (where he kept the Lucene
snapshot) died, and I found myself in the position of having to run on
a decompiled version of a JAR to see what he did for MONTHS before I
actually found how to rewrite the whole shabang using a release
version.

Now, this is (of course) my fault (I should have checked before he
left), but having been in the situation of "where the heck are the
sources" already, with a system which runs your live server, well, I'm
telling you it ain't pretty at all...

	Pier