cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Unrestricting the FOM
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:27:46 GMT

On 15 Jun 2004, at 10:57, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>

>> On 15 Jun 2004, at 10:11, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>>

> <snip/>
>
>>> Looking at the vote results, the general opinion is to remove the
>>> API restrictions (got only +1's),
>>

>> Good
>>
>>> but not tie the FOM to a particular Avalon object (got lots of +0's
>>> and a -1).
>>

>> This is more difficult to understand, but I could see why some were
>> worried.
>>
>>> So let's drop this cocoon.avalonContext proposal. Firstly because it
>>> becomes less useful if the FOM is unrestricted, and secondly because
>>> we can easily add the ContextAccess I proposed to Jeremy as a
>>> utility class. People using that class will know by doing so that
>>> their app becomes tied to Avalon.
>>

>> That is fine by me.
>>
>> Shall I commit the sample class you provided?
>> Do you have any preferences for where it should live?
>> Or do you have a more sophisticated way of adding this functionality,
>> that you would prefer to use instead?
>

> I see two possible locations for this code:
> - in a new o.a.c.components.flow.util.AvalonContextAccessor class
> (note the explicit mention to Avalon to clearly show the dependency on
> the framework)

I can understand this one

> - in o.a.c.components.ContextHelper, which alread holds a number of
> context-related methods.

I am not quite sure how this functionality would get added to
o.a.c.components.ContextHelper.

It currently has all static methods, which are passed an existing
org.apache.avalon.framework.context.Context Object.

> The second solution has the benefit of concentrating all
> Context-related features in a single class and so has my preference.

Are you suggesting that this class be made Contextualizable and be
given a getContext() method ?

So to use it for getting a Context, you would call
	cocoon.createObject (ContextHelper).getContext ()
on it?

Thanks

regards Jeremy