cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [heads up] PMC chair nominations
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2004 08:48:23 GMT
On 31 May 2004, at 12:25, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> The ASF board decided not to accept Steven's resigns until the PMC
> itself came up with a new informed decision on who should follow him.
>
> This means that Steven remains the chair until the board ratifies it.

(I've been away for a couple of days)

Just to clarify things: we agreed little more than a year ago that we
should make this "Chair" job a low-fuzz/low-profile thing. One way to
ensure this is to keep terms short, but still effective - something
like a year. It's been little more than a year now that I did my part
of the duty, and I announced my *willingness* to resign by this summer
to the PMC list. This somehow was communicated to the board as "my
resignation", however I had indicated that I would stay on the job as
long as no successor had been voted on. So the board didn't *have* to
accept anything, since we haven't forwarded them a resolution to agree
upon.

> Here I would like to start the nominations (in no particular order):

While it's a low profile thing, it requires some energy and dedication,
and I would everybody advise *not* to propose anyone but themselves.
This is not a question of nominations and votes, it's just a matter of
finding people who want to *do* the job (rather than *be* the chair).
Let's not make this into a popularity contest, nor nominate anyone but
yourself, and let volunteers step up and propose themselves. This was
my rationale for *not* proposing successors myself.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org