cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Removing groovy
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:53:35 GMT

On Jun 17, 2004, at 11:56 AM, Steven Noels wrote:

> On 17 Jun 2004, at 10:16, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
>> For now I'm -1 on this because there *are* users out there relying on
>> 1.3 (see the last poll on the users mailing list) and don't forget,
>> not all users are subsribed to our mailing lists.
>
> 3 CON votes on a total of only 33 answers.

Add mine as well, I have some old generation app servers to maintain,
stuck to EJB1.0, who cannot migrate to 1.4 because of CORBA issues.
This is, I understand, a common situation in large financial
establishment (typically IBM shops).

> How about BeeHive, the upcoming new BEA ASF project, considering to
> make >1.5< a requirement...? They are targeting the (potentially) huge
> population of Struts/JSF users, who most likely will be working with a
> much more diverse set of VMs and appservers.

So what?

> For our own modest open source endeavours (xReporter & Daisy), we made
> 1.4 a requirement more than a year ago. Nobody complained about this
> so far.

Keep in mind that yours are applications, not frameworks. Cocoon as a
framework should be more liberal.

Bottom line: unless we leverage a major JDK1.4 advantage (which AFAIK
is not the case in the current codebase), I'd be -1 to a version
upgrade. Groovy in itself it's just not enough to justify cutting out
JDK 1.3. users.

Ciao,
--
Gianugo Rabellino