cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Cocoon component container and excalibur
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2004 06:30:50 GMT

On Jun 3, 2004, at 7:31 AM, Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Cocoon is migrating to a new container architecture. The question
> remaining in my mind is: How to develop components right now? In the
> sense
> that we don't want to write components for ECM, because it is almost
> dead.
> How to avoid to rewrite when the new component container in Cocoon will
> raise?

You should consider that even now, apart from the Cocoon engine itself
(the treeprocessor, basically), there are no ECM lockins anywhere. What
you used to write, you write now and will write still for a while are
plain Avalon components, compliant to the Avalon Framework
specifications and (AFAIK) portable across the different Avalon
implementations.

Anyway, the thing is we are considering moving towards a container that
doesn't follow even Framework's specs. But in that case, be assured
that there will be some kind of compatibility.

(which reminds me that I've been willing to investigate since a long
time the possibility to add an Avalon component that makes available
the NG kernel to the current cocoon, since this might allow to start
experimenting with the new components architecture)

Feel any better? :-)
--
Gianugo Rabellino