cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon is not gump!
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2004 05:01:18 GMT
On 29 Jun 2004, at 23:53, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> In this kind of situation, there is a very heavy process set up to
> ensure that *all* source code is available, as long as *all* tools and
> operating systems required to build and run the software. Plus a huge
> amount of design and test documents to allow people to dive in years
> after the original development team has disappeared.

One might wonder whether this isn't something where
consultants/integrators get their money from. If preservation and/or
fall-back is what your customer expects, would that be something he's
going to pay for? I'm talking about the preservation aspect here: if we
provided sources, how long could the Cocoon community be expected to
keep them? At what cost?

I tend to understand Ralph's point, but OTOH I think providing the
build targets to create source jars should be sufficient, and that the
actual assembly work should be at the third party's deliberation. For
third-party, unreleased or patched libs, a coherent naming scheme and
archive.apache.org offloading procedure should suffice.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org