cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <>
Subject Re: Including source files in jars
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 13:28:31 GMT
Yes, this makes sense. I ran into the same thing with 2.1.4 because I
patched our copy and submitted the patches (which are now in 2.1.5). I did
have trouble finding a home for the patches because we don't keep Cocoon in
our CVS.

However, I still think this is a good idea for snapshot jars that Cocoon
includes. I't's been a pain finding some of the source code for those in
the past.

At 6/9/2004  12:48 AM, you wrote:

>Ok, I think not to have explained the use case clearly. It is actually
>very close to what you explain about dependent projects. This feature is
>not useful for us Cocoon devs, but for project developpers that use
>unreleased versions.
>We have a project here in my company with complex recursive forms which
>required me to extend CForms. I do not work directly on the project, but
>provide its developpers with new versions of forms-block.jar that run with
>the official 2.1.5. The purpose of including the sources in jar files is
>for the developpers of this project to be able to know with no ambiguity
>what sources they use. Furthermore when these sources are not yet in
>Cocoon's CVS (don't worry, commits will come soon).
>These guys are in the office next to mine, so roundtrip time is fast and
>communication easy. Now consider a project made for a remote customer,
>which required to use a non-released version because of a bug to fix or a
>few feature to implement. One year after the project is finished, the
>customer calls back because some errors occur. How do you know what
>sources the project actually uses? Just ask the customer to send you the
>contents of WEB-INF/lib!
>So, to restate it, this feature is of little use for us Cocoon devs but
>very useful for users of CVS snapshots. It's just useful for them as it
>would be useful for us to have source of snapshots of dependent projects
>in the corresponding jars.
>Does it make more sense?

View raw message