cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: Playing with the JCR RI
Date Thu, 24 Jun 2004 17:45:56 GMT
On 24 Jun 2004, at 15:37, Ugo Cei wrote:

> Dear Cocooners,
>
> I've just started to take a look at the JCR (a.k.a. JSR-170) Reference
> Implementation from Slide, after having read the latest JSR draft, and
> I feel like exploring the possibilities of its usage inside Cocoon.
>
> First thing I tried to do is an implementation of the
> o.a.c.components.repository.Repository, but then I started to think
> that it didn't make much sense. Our Repository interface is meant to
> provide a virtual repository API on top of different implementations
> (only a WebDAV impl. is available at the moment). But isn't this just
> what JCR is about? Wouldn't it be better if we dropped our own
> Repository and adopted the JCR APIs? We already have a WebDAV and a
> local filesystem implementation available in the RI (plus an
> implementation on top of a "virtual filesystem" which I haven't
> grokked yet). Of course, nothing prevents us from wrapping a JCR repo
> inside an Avalon component, if we want.
>
> Then I thought about doing a Generator that could stream the XML
> representation of a JCR repo provided by the API. Should be a piece of
> cake as there's a method that streams it to a ContentHandler.
>
> In order to show off what can be done with Cocoon+JCR, we could try to
> clone the Web frontend distributed by Day at
> http://jsr170tools.day.com or some part of it.
>
> Thoughts? Questions? Volunteers?

I am personally talking to David to try to include JAAS and
transactions into the JSR-170 spec, as VNU's going to use the spec for
our own repository and we need few features.

So, for me, if that means tight integration between Cocoon and JCR, a
big +1, but for the moment, wait for the final version of the spec :-P

	Pier