cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon is not gump!
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2004 06:11:48 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:

<snip/>

>> Now it seem not everybody agrees with or understand these concerns.
>> Those who do will use -Dinclude.source-in-jars when building their
>> unofficial distros, and will fetch 3rd party sources using the
>> timestamp included in the library name (can even be automated using a
>> script).
>

> This is a good point: even if we cannot reach consensus on having the
> code inside the jars, it should be *completely automatic* to have the
> build process do so and for every library that you choose your
> application to depend on.
>
> In this regard, I would *strongly* suggest *NOT* to put that
> information in the library name, but in the gump.xml descriptor, so
> that even gump can use that information in the future (for example,
> acting as a nightly build system instead of a continous integration one).

Well, do you deliver gump.xml with your project? No. If we don't include
the source in jars, we must at least be able to reach them unambiguously
just from that single jar file. Either through additional manifest files
stored in it, or - and this is the most simple way - through the
filename (provided of course that it's kept unchanged).

Furthermore, I'm not sure putting this information in gump.xml is
necessary to perform nightly builds, as each project's build.xml  should
theroretically be able to do that build, either using dependencies
included in the project itself or by fetching them from a remote
repository. Reproduceability of the build is also a key aspect of
software maintainance, and the OSS community has for long understood
this because of its wide geographical distribution and its lazyness to
answer FAQs ;-)

Sylvain