cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon is not gump! ( was RE: [VOTE] preservation policy for third-party snapshot sources)
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:48:54 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

>Sylvain Wallez dijo:
>

>>Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>>

>>>As a Cocoon user I really don't care if the problem is at x line inside a
>>>3rd party lib. To me is enough to know that the fuunction f() in the 3rd
>>>party lib is not making the right work. How the function f() works it is
>>>up to the 3rd party jar developers.
>>>

>>C'mon Antonio! As a software developper, your goal is to build an
>>application that works. And if you depend on that f() function and need
>>to release to the customer, you will certainly get your hands dirty in
>>the 3rd party code. That's one of the biggest advantages of opensource:
>>you can fix it yourself.
>>

>Yep. I understand the point. In my own case, what I do is to contact the
>right community and tell them where is the problem.

This absolutely not the point of this discussion. The point is to know
how to find the sources for a CVS snapshot. We do not care where the bug
fixes it contains come from. Personally, if I find a bug that is
blocking for my project, I'll try to track it and solve it and send the
relevant community a patch instead of just informing them of the bug.

>I know that this is
>more complicated and time consuming, but I think it is the right think to
>do if me (as developers) don't want to fix it over and over on every new
>release of the 3rd party jar.

I never, never, never, never talked about forking a 3rd party library,
and this would be the worst thing to do. Find the bug, fix it and send
the patch, and people will thank you and eventually make you a committer.

This is my last reply to this thread.

Sylvain