cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Vote withdrawal (was Re: [VOTE] preservation policy for third-party snapshot sources)
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:01:26 GMT
David Crossley wrote:

>Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>Please cast your votes:
>>

>[+1] do not keep sources
>and use a full timestamp (as UTC time) in the jar filename
>so that people can get the sources from the relevant
>external CVS, e.g. foobar-20040628T0824.jar

Considering that everybody has strong arguments either for or against
source inclusion, it seems we'll never be able to reach a consensus on
this source preservation problem by including *some* of the sources in
our CVS repo, either as part of the jars, either as separate zip files.

What is annoying me is that some people don't seem to have understood
the value of this, which is to be able to easily track bugs into Cocoon
in the transient state that separates official releases. Anyway...

I therefore withdraw the vote and consider David's proposal above a good
mid-term solution that better helps to find the sources than a simple
date timestamp.

However, we have to clearly define how this timestamp should be
produced: *it cannot be the build time*, as the source repository may
have changed between the checkout and the build.

So having this minute-precise timestamp means that:
- your computer is synchronized to an NTP server on the Internet,
- when checking out the CVS, you use "cvs update; date -u +%Y%m%dT%H%M"
(what's the non-cygwin windoze equivalent?) to have the precise
_checkout_ time in UTC.
- you make no modification on the source files after this update.

If you're a committer on the 3rd party library, the "cvs update; date"
should be done again after any commit to take into account any other
changes that other people may have made since your last update.

Does this sound better? Can we reach a consensus here?

Sylvain