cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE] preservation policy for third-party snapshot sources
Date Mon, 28 Jun 2004 08:32:39 GMT
Hi all,

Some time ago, we discussed the need to keep sources somewhere in Cocoon
for third-party jars produced from CVS snapshots. The purpose is to be
able to easily find the source files for these jars, in order to be able
to know what we use and eventually track bugs.

It must be clear that this vote is about *snapshots only*, i.e.
non-released version. For released versions, the sources are available
by downloading the corresponding distro. Also, our policy is to use
released third-party libraries when building Cocoon releases. So this
vote is mainly about development snapshot of 3rd-party libraries used to
build development snapshots of Cocoon.

There are 3 possible policies:
1/ do not keep sources. The build date that's present in the jar name
gives us enough precision to get the corresponding sources, even if some
files may have changed within a 24 hour period.
2/ keep sources as a separate zip file. This allows to distribute
binary-only jars, and we can dig the Cocoon CVS to get the corresponding
sources when needed.
3/ include the sources inside the jar. This makes the jar size bigger
but ensures immediate availability of source files.

Please cast your votes:
[ ] do not keep sources
[ ] keep sources as separate zip files
[ ] keep sources in jar files