cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <>
Subject Re: Use of the what command with java code
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 08:16:05 GMT
Le 9 juin 04, à 09:55, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :

> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>> Le 9 juin 04, à 07:54, Antonio Gallardo a écrit :
>>> ...What about the other proposal I did:
>>> Insert in META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file the "SVN Revision number" (+
>>> maybe
>>> other needed stuff - need to investigate) of the local working copy
>>> at
>>> compile time? (BTW, It does not requiere net access, because the
>>> info is
>>> retrieved from your local working copy)...
>> I think you're right, with SVN this is enough as the revision number
>> applies to the whole source tree, no need for individual file
>> revision info.
> What if you have a partial update, e.g. keep the officially released
> core, but use a snapshot of a periperal function or blocks?

Hmmm...yes, that's clearly a use-case for individual file revision
info. Another case would be when you have your own source code control
system for parts of Cocoon that you (temporarily) maintain yourself,
like what you currently do with your forms stuff.

Note that I have nothing against your including of source files in jars
as a switchable option - you're right that this is the more precise
info that we can provide.

My conclusion would be that including the SVN revision number as
proposed by Antonio is good for the common case, and your "include
source in jars" switch can be used for extreme/uncommon cases - so why
not have both?

View raw message