cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Playing with the JCR RI
Date Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:23:00 GMT
Ugo Cei wrote:
> Dear Cocooners,
>
> I've just started to take a look at the JCR (a.k.a. JSR-170) Reference
> Implementation from Slide, after having read the latest JSR draft, and I
> feel like exploring the possibilities of its usage inside Cocoon.
>
> First thing I tried to do is an implementation of the
> o.a.c.components.repository.Repository, but then I started to think that
> it didn't make much sense. Our Repository interface is meant to provide
> a virtual repository API on top of different implementations (only a
> WebDAV impl. is available at the moment). But isn't this just what JCR
> is about? Wouldn't it be better if we dropped our own Repository and
> adopted the JCR APIs? We already have a WebDAV and a local filesystem
> implementation available in the RI (plus an implementation on top of a
> "virtual filesystem" which I haven't grokked yet). Of course, nothing
> prevents us from wrapping a JCR repo inside an Avalon component, if we
> want.
>
> Then I thought about doing a Generator that could stream the XML
> representation of a JCR repo provided by the API. Should be a piece of
> cake as there's a method that streams it to a ContentHandler.
>
> In order to show off what can be done with Cocoon+JCR, we could try to
> clone the Web frontend distributed by Day at http://jsr170tools.day.com
> or some part of it.
>
> Thoughts? Questions? Volunteers?

I think that the JCR API is so low-level that a higher level poor-man
dead-easy Repository interface for the repository cocoon block still
makes sense, at least it will avoid you to cut/paste a bunch of similar
functions over and over in your business logic handling things.

For many reasons, JCR tends to generate pretty verbose usage.

But I do think it makes sense to have general pipeline components that
are able to read and write into a JCR repository anyway, but probably a
Source would be better in this regard.

As for duplicating the JSR170tools, I think it would just rock, but
don't expect anymore effort than writing a few lines of email, sorry.

--
Stefano.