cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Guido Casper <gcas...@s-und-n.de>
Subject Re: Playing with the JCR RI
Date Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:46:25 GMT
Ugo Cei wrote:
> Dear Cocooners,
>
> I've just started to take a look at the JCR (a.k.a. JSR-170) Reference
> Implementation from Slide, after having read the latest JSR draft, and I
> feel like exploring the possibilities of its usage inside Cocoon.
>
> First thing I tried to do is an implementation of the
> o.a.c.components.repository.Repository, but then I started to think that
> it didn't make much sense. Our Repository interface is meant to provide
> a virtual repository API on top of different implementations (only a
> WebDAV impl. is available at the moment). But isn't this just what JCR
> is about? Wouldn't it be better if we dropped our own Repository and
> adopted the JCR APIs?

I thought about that as well (don't reinvent the wheel). However I came
to the conclusion that I currently don't care about JCR as much as I
care about WebDAV :-) The JCR RI for sure is not (yet) as tested and
proven as Slide's WebDAV library and currently I have doubts that JCR is
the best "API for WebDAV" (sigh, time will tell).

In addition I still think there is space for a more "user-oriented" API
that works on a higher abstraction and is geared towards usage within
Cocoon. I'm still planning to work on that (reworking
o.a.c.components.repository.Repository (especially the exception
handling ;-) and having another more "user-level" component operating on
top of it) but I'm currently completely swamped :-(

However I would be looking forward to have some JCR support/sample
within Cocoon.

Guido