cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Unrestricting the FOM
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:11:07 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> More and more, the limitations of objects provided by the FOM seem
>> like arbitrary constraints that go in the way of people and produce
>> confusion. Furthermore, these restrictions only apply to the JS
>> flowscript and not to JavaFlow, thus making JS flowscript a second
>> zone citizen compared to Java code.
>>
>> That's why I propose to remove these restrictions my having
>> cocoon.request, cocoon.response and cocoon.context providing the full
>> API defined by the interfaces in org.apache.cocoon.environment.
>>
>> Furthermore, I propose to add cocoon.avalonContext to provide access
>> to the various data held by this object.
>>
>> More background on this subject is available in the "Less is more...
>> or less" discussion [1] and my answer to Jeremy's problem [2] that
>> shows how simple it is to workaround the restricted FOM.
>>
>> Please cast your votes!
>>
>> - [+1] to remove restrictions on existing objects.
>> - [?] to add cocoon.avalonContext.
>

> I'm not sure about avalonContext.`What happens if we really drop
> Avalon as base framework? Do statements containing
> cocoon.avalonContext still work or will they be hidden (because
> Flowscript is interpreted) broken? If the user has to use the
> workaround and she recompiles the code with Cocoon 3.0 and the
> compiler doesn't compile her code anymore, she knows that she has a
> problem. Or will a possible legacy mode hide that she may have a problem?
>
> We should really try to make moving from Cocoon 2.x to 3.x as smooth
> as possible and users that only use Flowscripts and the sitemap
> shouldn't be forced to change their applications if they want to use
> Cocoon in the same way as they have been used to do.

Looking at the vote results, the general opinion is to remove the API
restrictions (got only +1's), but not tie the FOM to a particular Avalon
object (got lots of +0's and a -1).

So let's drop this cocoon.avalonContext proposal. Firstly because it
becomes less useful if the FOM is unrestricted, and secondly because we
can easily add the ContextAccess I proposed to Jeremy as a utility
class. People using that class will know by doing so that their app
becomes tied to Avalon.

Sylvain