cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JXTG and caching
Date Sat, 12 Jun 2004 16:00:02 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

>>> And for caching to play right with proxies and browsers, Vary header
>>> (and/or some others) should be set. What mechanism can be used to
>>> set headers from the JX template?
>>

>> <jx:var name="foo" value="cocoon.request.setHeader('bar', 'baz')"/> ??
>

> Thought a bit about it... Due to streaming nature of the Cocoon
> (forget for a second that pipeline's default behavior is to buffer
> output - default can be changed anyway), this won't work. First
> startElement() event corresponding to root element is already out,
> and, under ideal conditions, already written to the output stream.
>
> Thus, this will fail.

You're right. Also, if the pipeline is cached, headers aren't set again.
Headers must actually be set in setup().

> The only other option I see is to mimic XSP page structure: Introduce
> root <jx:page/> tag which is *not* printed to the output. Then,
> everything between the <jx:page/> and first SAX event can perform
> whatever setup operations needed.

That additional root tag is something I dislike in XSP. Furthermore, a
valid JX template may not contain any <jx:*> element if only expression
expansion is used. Adding an additional mandatory root tag breaks this
simplicity.

Don't know... what about some <jx:header> statements that would be
allowed only as children of the root element and executed in setup()?

Sylvain