cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Heads up, MSIE weirdness
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 21:30:53 GMT
Tony Collen wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> Tony Collen wrote:

>>> Hmm, does MSIE barf on other XHTML like this? (not served by Cocoon)
>>

>> Huh.  I saved it as an XML file, and then opened the .XML file, and
>> all was OK (no css styling).  The thing is, I checked it out on
>> FireFox (Mozilla's new browser), and the mime type sent from the server
>> was text/html--so that should not have been the problem.
>>

> Yep, MSIE likes to ignore mime-type headers because it thinks it knows
> better.... which is annoying.

And there's sometime some even weirder behaviours, as when IE considers
the mime-type, it considers it only *once* for a given URL. Which
sometimes make it barf on malformed XML when for some (valid) reason the
content-type of the same URL changes from XML to HTML.

> I have a friend who had this sort of problem a year ago with MSIE and
> PDFs, mainly if the file extension is not PDF, no matter what you send
> in headers, it will display the file as text or whatever.

Or worse, as a blank page!

Sylvain