cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Collen <colle...@umn.edu>
Subject Re: Heads up, MSIE weirdness
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 19:14:20 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Tony Collen wrote:
>
>> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>
>>> Just an FYI, MSIE (known for adherance to standards, yeah right) does
>>> not behave in a rational manner when it sees the "XML" header even if
>>> the rest of the system is HTML.  Case and point is the linotype sample
>>> included with Cocoon 2.1.5.  MSIE identifies it as an HTML page, but
>>> because Cocoon 2.1.5 includes the header
>>>
>>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
>>>
>>> at the top, MSIE (version 6) renders it as XML.  If that header were
>>> not there, everything would be ok.
>>>

>> Hmm, does MSIE barf on other XHTML like this? (not served by Cocoon)
>

> Huh.  I saved it as an XML file, and then opened the .XML file, and
> all was OK (no css styling).  The thing is, I checked it out on
> FireFox (Mozilla's new browser), and the mime type sent from the server
> was text/html--so that should not have been the problem.

Yep, MSIE likes to ignore mime-type headers because it thinks it knows better.... which is
annoying.
  I have a friend who had this sort of problem a year ago with MSIE and PDFs, mainly if the
file
extension is not PDF, no matter what you send in headers, it will display the file as text
or
whatever.

I tried this, thinking it would help:

     <map:match pattern="">
       <map:redirect-to uri="index.html"/>
     </map:match>

     <map:match pattern="index.html">
      <map:generate src="index.xhtml"/>
      <map:transform type="cinclude"/>
      <map:serialize/>
     </map:match>

And MSIE *still* displays xml.  This makes me really angry, in a caffeine-induced sort of
way.

The problem with removing the xml declaration is that I think it will ruin any sort of xhtml

compliance. :(

Tony