cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Use of the what command with java code
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 09:24:46 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le 9 juin 04, à 09:55, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :
>
>> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>>> I think you're right, with SVN this is enough as the revision number
>>> applies to the whole source tree, no need for individual file
>>> revision info.
>>

>> What if you have a partial update, e.g. keep the officially released
>> core, but use a snapshot of a periperal function or blocks?
>

> Hmmm...yes, that's clearly a use-case for individual file revision
> info. Another case would be when you have your own source code control
> system for parts of Cocoon that you (temporarily) maintain yourself,
> like what you currently do with your forms stuff.
>
> Note that I have nothing against your including of source files in
> jars as a switchable option - you're right that this is the more
> precise info that we can provide.
>
> My conclusion would be that including the SVN revision number as
> proposed by Antonio is good for the common case, and your "include
> source in jars" switch can be used for extreme/uncommon cases - so why
> not have both?

There's a problem with Antonio's proposal: people that download the
official release don't have the source control information (be it CVS or
SVN), yet still have to build their own copy of Cocoon.

So I'm more in favor of including the "what" information, which puts a
small but indelibile stamp in class files (provided of course that the
file hasn't been modified after its checkout).

And yes, I admit that my solution is good only for uncommon cases, i.e.
for hard-core users living on the bleeding edge :-)

Sylvain