cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Including source files in jars
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 07:48:32 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:

>I guess I'm missing something. I thought the point was to have the source for dependent
projects that are snapshots in the jars.  That makes sense to me.  In that case I'm not sure
how having a build property helps since the source would need to be in the jar that is part
of the Cocoon download.

>If this discussion is about putting Cocoon source in jars, I'm not sure what the point
of that is since you have to download the source to build.

Ok, I think not to have explained the use case clearly. It is actually
very close to what you explain about dependent projects. This feature is
not useful for us Cocoon devs, but for project developpers that use
unreleased versions.

We have a project here in my company with complex recursive forms which
required me to extend CForms. I do not work directly on the project, but
provide its developpers with new versions of forms-block.jar that run
with the official 2.1.5. The purpose of including the sources in jar
files is for the developpers of this project to be able to know with no
ambiguity what sources they use. Furthermore when these sources are not
yet in Cocoon's CVS (don't worry, commits will come soon).

These guys are in the office next to mine, so roundtrip time is fast and
communication easy. Now consider a project made for a remote customer,
which required to use a non-released version because of a bug to fix or
a few feature to implement. One year after the project is finished, the
customer calls back because some errors occur. How do you know what
sources the project actually uses? Just ask the customer to send you the
contents of WEB-INF/lib!

So, to restate it, this feature is of little use for us Cocoon devs but
very useful for users of CVS snapshots. It's just useful for them as it
would be useful for us to have source of snapshots of dependent projects
in the corresponding jars.

Does it make more sense?

Sylvain