cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Including source files in jars
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2004 06:32:24 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

<snip/>

>>>Perhaps we can zip the in a separated file and point to them in eclipse. Same
as we use the J2SDK source files. We just point to the separated file at:

>>>file:/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_04/src.zip
>>>

>>Having two files gives no guarantee that they are consistent, and allows clueless
people to inadvertently delete the source archives just to purge useless files.

>They will can download (or recompile) it again ;-)

I'm sorry Antonio,  but I think you missed the point. The problem when
working with unreleased versions is that it is extremely difficult to
know *what sources* were used for the build.

You can know when the build was done by looking at the class files
creation date in the jars, but you cannot know what sources were used to
produce them, except that they're older than the build. But how much
older? Was the checkout done a day before or a week? Also, was it a full
cvs update or only a partial one (e.g. on a particular block)?

That's the purpose of embedding the source in the jars: make the binary
and its source a single and unique piece of information, with no means
of having them out of sync except by modifying the content of the archive.

>>What if we make this the default _except_ for released versions? That way, people
using a CVS snapshot will have the source files corresponding the binary they use at hand,
whereas released versions won't have the extra size.

>I like the oposite.
>
>I think if someone is going to follow the CVS HEAD, he has enough skills to turn on an
option if he wish.

Again you missed the point. This isn't needed for released versions as
they can be fetched at will with no ambiguity from the official download
area.

Sylvain