cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Collen <colle...@umn.edu>
Subject Re: Redesigning the Samples
Date Sun, 06 Jun 2004 02:37:53 GMT
David Crossley wrote:

> Erk, i do not want to pour water on your efforts, but i was
> already really happy with the original design. The only
> thing that i would have changed would be to make the top
> part of the page be even more compact.

Welp, my personal opinion was that (putting it nicely) the page was
lacking in the graphic design department. So I did something I thought
was reasonable.

I see people's arguments about dilluting the Cocoon "brand".  I can
understand this because I worked in an advertising agency for a few
years, and many years ago I came very close to going to school for
Graphic Design rather than Computer Science.

I don't want to jeopardize the Cocoon brand by any means.  I would like
to express my concern about wanting to have a more professional image.
Not necessarily more corporate looking, but I think a more polished look
would greatly help the project, which led to my work.

One problem that I encounter a lot when building web sites and doing
graphic design for people is that if a design is put in front of 50
people, you'll get 50 different suggestions as to how to make it better
or more appealing.  This makes it *very* hard to do something that
everyone will agree to fully.

I've found a few ways around this situation:

- Ignore them, since you know better than they do (arrogant)
- Try to appease everybody fully (doesn't work)
- Take their suggestions into consideration, but keep working forward
(useful, practical)
- Try to compromise between what people want and what you think should
happen (best IMO)

Obviously, I favor the compromise route.  Like I said, the page design
bugged me enough to do something about it. Now I think we should find
some sort of a compromise that won't dillute the Cocoon "brand" but try
to snazz up the pages as much as possible, without pissing people off.

WDYT?

Regards,

Tony, who thought long and hard over the weekend about this message, and
was originally angry about the poor reaction but got over it since he
shouldn't take people's reactions as an attack against him personally.

P.S.  The cocoon2.ai Illustrator file in the current CVS won't even open
in the latest version of Illustrator.  This is bad because if we lose
this file, we face losing original artwork.