cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Removing sitemap's check-reload attribute
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 15:38:14 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Working on the TreeProcessor, I noticed "check-reload" that exists on
>> <map:mount> whose existence I nearly forgot about, and was wondering
>> about its actual usefulness, furthermore considering that it defaults
>> to true (i.e. reload when needed)
>>
>> There are lots and lots of places in Cocoon where automatic reload
>> occurs with no way to disable it: XSLT, XSP, JXTG, CForms to name a few.
>>
>> So I propose to remove this "feature", and have automatic sitemap
>> reload always be turned on, as everywhere else.
>>
>> WDYT?
>

> I like the fact that auto-reloading should be consistent and global,
> but I would also like to have the ability to turn it off, especially
> in production environments because this removes some performance
> overhead in the checking (even if it's asynchronous).
>
> Comments?

There were some talks related to this when we discussed store cleanup,
as reload is often related to "compiling" the contents of a Source (e.g.
building a TreeProcessor, a form definition, a stylesheet, etc) and
caching that compiled form for later use. Caching also possibly meaning
purging no more used entries, contrarily to what happens today with
private Maps to store these objects.

There's an initial attempt at this in the scratchpad (util.SourceCache)
which we may build upon.

That may also be a service provided at a lower level by SourceUtil (but
then relying on an ugly static setting) or by the SourceResolver itself.

Sylvain