cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [heads up] PMC chair nominations
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2004 15:55:24 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

> On 31 May 2004, at 12:25, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> The ASF board decided not to accept Steven's resigns until the PMC
>> itself came up with a new informed decision on who should follow him.
>>
>> This means that Steven remains the chair until the board ratifies it.
>

> (I've been away for a couple of days)
>
> Just to clarify things: we agreed little more than a year ago that we
> should make this "Chair" job a low-fuzz/low-profile thing. One way to
> ensure this is to keep terms short, but still effective - something like
> a year. It's been little more than a year now that I did my part of the
> duty, and I announced my *willingness* to resign by this summer to the
> PMC list. This somehow was communicated to the board as "my
> resignation"

Steven, *YOU* committed this to CVS:

   Steven Noels has indicated his intention to step down from PMC chair.
   Bertrand was nominated but indicated his lack of continous time in
the next
   few months. Nominations are still undergoing.

If this wasn't the correct wording, blame yourself, not others.

>, however I had indicated that I would stay on the job as
> long as no successor had been voted on. So the board didn't *have* to
> accept anything, since we haven't forwarded them a resolution to agree
> upon.

>> Here I would like to start the nominations (in no particular order):
>

> While it's a low profile thing, it requires some energy and dedication,
> and I would everybody advise *not* to propose anyone but themselves.

I STRONGLY suggest the opposite. I think the job of a PMC is done
*better* but those who would *NOT* think they are up to the task.

You don't propose yourself for ASF membership, you get nominated by
somebody else and you have the faculty to reject the nomination and, if
you accept, you get voted by your peers.

The model applies here as well.

FYI, as a rule, I never vote for to somebody who nominated
himself/herself for something.

> This is not a question of nominations and votes, it's just a matter of
> finding people who want to *do* the job (rather than *be* the chair).

Sure. that's why you have the ability to turn the nomination down (like
Bertrand did).

--
Stefano.