cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: JXTG and caching
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2004 09:39:33 GMT
Leszek Gawron wrote:

> Upayavira wrote:

>>> One question: if this NewsHelper is NOT an avalon component (or
>>> object instantiated by flow.createObject) then it doesn't have acces
>>> to any backend logic or data (for example database that stores
>>> expiration time for different news services). Would it be possible
>>> to instantiate this object via flow.createObject analogy?
>>

>> Of course. You could equally well say:
>>
>> sendPage("my-url", {"myObject", myAvalonObject});
>>
>> <page jx-cache-key="myObject.getValidity()">
>>
>> Regards, Upayavira
>>

> But that does not differ from what I proposed in first post and
> Sylvain wrote it is a bad idea.

I would say it is different, in as much as previously you calculated the
validity in flowscript. Now, you pass in an object, and the template
asks the object for its validity. So the object itself knows how to
decide whether it is valid or not, which seems quite reasonable to me.

Adding that level of complexity to flowscript can make your flowscripts
very complex very quickly. That is what I believe Sylvain is objecting to.

Regards, Upayavira