cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: Large xml's in cocoon
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2004 09:04:44 GMT
Ugo Cei wrote:

> Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>
>> Oh, on a side note, Ugo, I'd seriously switch your
>> development/production environments... I'm not going into performance
>> details (I don't want to raise a can of worms), but at least on my
>> tests Tomcat is using 3x the memory that Jetty is using per single
>> request, so it's more likely for you to have OOMEs on Tomcat rather
>> than Jetty.
>

> I couldn't agree more with this, Pier, but until my boss gets me a new
> engineer, I'm not going to learn how to properly configure Jetty for
> vhosts, authentication, logging and HTTPS and switch over. I don't
> want to do this job anymore, so they stay where they are ;-).

Whilst I can undestand the sentiment of not wanting to do sysadmin work,
I would say that Jetty is _far_ easier to configure than Tomcat. It is
in fact just far simpler alround. Vhosts are easy, as is authentication
realms (I can send you config samples). For logging, I'm not that sure
(we just redirect Jetty's console to a file). HTTPs listeners are
available in Jetty's default config file, including examples of how to
refer to your keystore.

Switching to Jetty was the best thing we did - Tomcat fell over all the
time. Jetty has just stayed up.

If you ever decide to switch, let me know and I'll send you config samples.

Regards, Upayavira