cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject RE: [RT] Cocoon component container and excalibur
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2004 06:55:25 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler dijo:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>>
>> You have to consider two very different things:
>> - the Avalon framework APIs (LogEnabled, Serviceable,
>> Configurable, etc.)
>> - the container that implements the framework behaviour
>>
>> Although the container implementation may change, there's a
>> strong commitment to the framework APIs as this is what we've
>> used and invested in for many years.
>>
>> So even if a new container comes with new features (e.g. IOC
>> type 2/3), it will also have to implement the Avalon
>> framework behaviour. We cannot trash years of use of this API
>> overnight.
>>
> I don't want to freak out again but if you look at the discussions
> about the block implementations, there were a lot of discussions
> to also remove the framework api from the block system. So if you
> want to use the benefit of blocks, you can't use the avalon
> framework api for your components. And I still think this is bad.
>
> Anyways, if for example we would move to Fortress (without using
> the meta-info stuff and keeping our current configuration files
> which is possible!) we could add own lifecycle interfaces over
> time and provide a smooth migration path to whatever comes with
> blocks.

Thanks Carsten, this exactly what I remember. It moves me to write the RT.
This seems to be still not cleared. BTW, sorry for start the same again.
;) I think it is time to make some decisions. The development stall if we
don't decide how to go and the clock is ticking.

I wanted to include in the RT a question about Excalibur, as Gianugo said,
Excalibur is a TLP now and ask if is worth to collaborate there while we
(Cocoon) are switching out of it.

This are the things that disturb me now.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo