cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Larson <...@keow.org>
Subject Re: I'm back for a short stint
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2004 19:11:43 GMT
On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 02:22:17PM -0400, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Tim Larson wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 01:54:40PM -0400, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> >
> >>At least as a user.
> >>
> >>I'm going to have to throw together a "drill-down" way to print reports
> >>for a web-service/database backed system.  I'm going to have to get my
> >

> >I assume you know about the "drill-down" support in xReporter, and that
> >it can create reports either from a database or from xml data fetched
> >from elsewhere, such as from a web-service.
>
> Actually no.  I haven't been actively involved with Cocoon code for
> almost two years no (I can't believe it has been that long....).
>
> Got some pointers?

Sure!

Main site:
http://xreporter.cocoondev.org/index.html
This reporting tool is split in two parts that communicate via HTTP.
The part that does the heavy lifting is an application that runs in
the Phoenix container and does the database access, grouping, etc.
The other part is a presentation layer implemented using Cocoon.

Drill-down:
http://xreporter.cocoondev.org/en/reports.html#Linking+between+reports
This is implemented by linking reports together either on rows or on
cells, and automatically passing the right parameters to the linked
report so it can be based on the row or cell it was linked from.

Reports based on XML data retrieved via HTTP:
http://xreporter.cocoondev.org/en/overview.html#HTTP+data+source
Not much info on this page, but the general idea is you retrieve
some data via HTTP, massage it into a friendly xml format if it
is not already, and then xReporter can take it from there.

Support for using a database for report data is more standardized
(and better documented), but of course with Cocoon you have many
options for manipulating an xml datasource before passing it to
xReporter to produce reports.

Hope this helps,
--Tim Larson